WRITING IS NOT FOR WIMPS
I’ve penned this particular topic, a couple of times before and I thought I’d share it again.
WRITING IS NOT FOR WIMPS
Writing is for those who trust and believe in the process and timing of it all. See, writing takes hard work, patience, determination, passion, money AND courage. No, it doesn’t take some of these, it takes all of these.
I’ll tell you why …
1. Hard work – if you think writing is as easy as pulling out a computer or a notepad, think again. You have to come up with a story that makes sense, flows and is grammatically correct while sacrificing time you want to hang out, sleep, vacation and everything else. You NEVER give up!
2. Patience – it takes patience to build a following, to get people to believe in you, to make it to bestseller, to sell books and to see a return on your investment. You NEVER give up!
3. Determination – Who will work harder for you than you! (sing with me … nobody!) You have to be determined to make it even when the royalty checks aren’t enough to cover gas. You have to be determined, even when it’s been months and no reviews. You have to be determined to keep writing even when your first book is still ranked at 1,254.144 on Amazon. Which means … you NEVER give up!
4. Passion – Writing can/is be a career but it works better when it’s a passion, something you believe in. How do you know if it’s your passion? Your passion is something that you’ll willingly lose sleep over and something you will not give up on, especially when it gets hard. You NEVER give up!
5. Money – Here’s one that you might cringe at but you have to spend money to make money. From book covers, editing, promotion, ads, newsletters, gifts, etc. because Jezzy, the rapper said, “Scared money don’t make money.” Sometimes you have to take a risk, even if it fails, the first time. You NEVER give up!
6. Courage – You absolutely have to have courage. Why? Because you will have strangers reading your work and some will not like it. You’ll have folk combing through every word and scene with a fine tooth comb, leaving “constructive criticism” on a word you misspelled or a comma you didn’t place. Mane, you’ll have folk mad because your fiction story doesn’t seem real. Writing takes thick skin but here’s the blessing … for the few who don’t like it, hundreds will. You NEVER give up!
Therefore, let me leave you with this piece of advice, don’t allow anyone to detour your dreams. It’s your story, tell it. Sure, writing isn’t for wimps but it’s worth it! Just NEVER give up!
— Keep writing 🧡